On Wednesday, July 14, the Nigerian military reportedly released 1,009 ex-Boko Haram insurgents who had been in custody at Giwa Barracks in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State.
In a secret ceremony that was originally scheduled to take place at an earlier date but was suspended indefinitely by the military authorities after the appointment of the new COAS, Punch reports, the former terrorists were handed over to the Borno State Government.
A source in the military told the publication that the ex-terrorists were handed over to the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Hajiya Zuwaira Gambo, who represented the state government at the event.
An officer told Punch, “The army handed over 1,009 Boko Haram insurgents to the government today (Wednesday). It was done in secret. We were warned not to let journalists attend.”