Chris Ngige, minister of labour and employment, has apologised to Senate President Ahmad Lawan over the outburst of Festus Keyamo, minister of state for labour and employment, regarding the 774,000 requirement.
Last week, Keyamo engaged in a shouting match with some senators and house of representatives members while responding to questions about the recruitment.
The National Directorate of Employment (NDE) is expected to implement the recruitment under a special works programme.
While the lawmakers had accused Keyamo of hijacking the programme from NDE, the minister hit back, saying they were the ones trying to take over the project.
The legislators later said the programme would remain on hold until details of how it would be implemented are made available to them, but Keyamo has maintained that they do not have the powers to do so.
Speaking at a meeting with Lawan at the national assembly on Tuesday, Ngige said Keyamo has prepared a position paper on how the programme would be implemented but “nothing is sacrosanct there; we can still discuss.”
“We regret what has happened,” Ngige said.