The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has confirmed that 200 of the 362 passengers on board the ill-fated Abuja-Kaduna train are now safe, while 22 families have reported their loved ones missing.
In a Monday update, NRC Managing Director Engr. Fidet Okhiria revealed that 51 phone numbers on the manifest had been shut off or were unavailable since Tuesday morning.
He also stated that 35 phone numbers on the manifest were ringing but receiving no response, and that 60 phone numbers on the manifest were not picked up when called.
He thanked the security agencies for their assistance, despite the fact that the number of verified deaths has remained at eight.
“The Squadron Commander MOPOL 1 Kaduna’s visit to the accident site today (yesterday) was very much appreciated,” he said.
The NRC MD said that two coaches (SP 00016 and SP 00017) that were previously re-railed were safely moved to Rigasa Station, bringing the total number of coaches recovered and safely moved to NRC stations to seven.
“Intensive work on track repairs continues,” he added. More concrete sleepers have been delivered to the site, and some twisted track sections have been straightened.”