Zamfara wedding guests freed after ransom Payment

zamfara wedding guests freed after ransom payment
zamfara wedding guests freed after ransom payment

After receiving an undefined ransom, the gunmen who abducted 29 individuals returning to Zamfara State from Sokoto State, where they had attended a colleague’s wedding, have freed them.

The victims, who were primarily sellers of mobile phones and phone accessories at Bebeji Communication Market (Bebeji Plaza) in Gusau, the state capital of Zamfara, were abducted 13 days ago in Sokoto.

Ashiru Zurmi, secretary of the state’s GSM Dealers Association, verified the release of the victims but provided no further information.

According to reports, one of the victims died in captivity.

Although the ransom paid to ensure the release of the captives has not been made public, Abdullahi Lawal, whose brother was among those kidnapped, stated that their family were urged to make donations. According to him, his family contributed N33,000 and the phone vendors’ organisation “gave the rest funds.”

“Each household was instructed to collect N400,000, while the plaza members and their colleagues in the state donated the remaining funds.” Others in our family were able to raise the necessary funds, but we were unable to. I took the money to the plaza, where I was informed that negotiations with the bandits were still ongoing.

He stated he did not know how much was handed to the bandits, but he was pleased that his brother was safe.

From N5m to N700,000

Sharhabilu Muhammad, a vendor of phone accessories, stated that the phone dealers association negotiated with the robbers to lessen the price they initially sought for the victims’ release.

“Initially, they demanded N5 million for each hostage, but our officers negotiated with them (bandits) till they agreed to N700 thousand,” he explained.

Mr. Muhammed stated that the identify of the person who purportedly died in captivity has not been disclosed.

“We don’t know because not even the bandits told us, but we’ll find out tonight when the detainees arrive in Gusau,” he continued.

Mohammed Shehu, the spokesman for the police command, did not answer to calls and SMS addressed to him regarding the development.

You May Also Like