IGP Usman Alkali Baba appointed DCP Tunji Disu as the new head of the Police Intelligence Response Team (IRT) on Monday.
DCP Abba Kyari, who had been indicted by the FBI, was replaced by Disu.
Like Kyari, Disu is also a ‘celebrity cop’ who is very popular on Twitter.
When Disu served as the commander of the Rapid Response Squad in Lagos state, he became the delight of the public for addressing several security issues and reforming the unit under his leadership.
Aside from Disu’s use of his Twitter platform to respond to urgent security matters, he also gained admiration for his sense of humour, which he most of the time exhibits when engaging his numerous followers.
DCP Tunji Disu has the following interesting facts:
- Disu was born in Lagos Island and had his post-primary education at Mayflower Junior School, Ikenne, Ogun State
- He also attended Pobuna Secondary Grammar School, Epe; and Saint Gregory’s College, Lagos
- He obtained a Bachelor of Arts Degree in English (Education) at the Lagos State University
- Post-graduate Diploma in International Relations and Strategic Studies at Lagos State University
- A Certificate in Personal Protection in the United Kingdom
- Master’s in Public Administrations at Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba, Ondo State.
- He joined the Nigerian Police in 1992 as Cadet ASP and was trained at the Nigeria Police Academy, Kaduna.
- While he was Commander of RRS in Lagos state, Disu trained officers under his watch on Emotional Intelligence, Anger Control and Management and De-escalation of crisis.
- RRS under his watch also operated ‘Hot spot Policing’ through which the patrol vehicles of RRS are placed at strategic locations considered to be black spot.