According to the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS), Oyo State Command, when suspected gunmen assaulted the Abolongo Correctional Centre in Oyo Town, 837 awaiting trial convicts fled.
Its Public Relations Officer, Olanrewaju Anjorin, said this in an Ibadan statement on Saturday.
Suspected gunmen stormed the facility on Friday at 9.30 p.m. after blasting the wall with explosives. READ MORE
The assailants liberated all 837 awaiting trial detainees, according to Anjorin, noting that the cells holding the convicted and female inmates were not vandalized.
He said that a total of 262 fugitive convicts had been apprehended, while 575 remained at large.
“The intruders came at the center fully equipped with modern weaponry, and after a tough battle with the policemen on duty, they gained entry into the yard, blasting the wall with explosives.”
“All awaiting trial prisoners were forcibly removed from custody, and the cells containing convicts and female criminals were not vandalized.”
“Meanwhile, 262 of the escapees have been apprehended, leaving 575 still at large.”
“Following the orders of the Controller-General of Corrections, Haliru Nababa, the State Controller, Noel Ailewon, has begun the search and recapture procedure after visiting the location of the event,” Anjorin stated.
He said that the state controller had guaranteed the public that no effort would be spared to apprehend the evading prisoners.
According to him, the controller-general has requested reliable information to aid security services in locating the runaway detainees.
He said that the Oyo Custodial Centre was constructed in 2007 with a capacity of 160 convicts, but at the time of the assault, it had a total population of 907 detainees.
“Of this total, 837 people were awaiting trial, accounting for 92% of the total, with just 64 convictions,” Anjorin stated. (NAN)