The Ondo State Police Command has denied the arrest of the attackers who attacked St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo last Sunday, killing 40 people and injuring many more.
According to a social media report, the suspected terrorists were apprehended on Thursday by a joint team of men from the Nigerian Army, Amotekun Corps, and other security agencies, as well as local hunters.
According to the report, the suspects were taken to Olowo’s palace. People began besieging the palace after hearing the news in order to catch a glimpse of the suspects.
However, the Olowo of Owo, Oba Ajibade Ogunoye, denied the report, claiming that no suspect was apprehended and brought to the palace. He had told the people besieging the palace in Owo dialect that the attackers would be apprehended soon.
“They said some people were arrested in the bush by security,” the first class monarch told our correspondent over the phone. “They said they weren’t sure that the suspects were the ones who carried out the attack.”
“The report was false; people had flocked to the palace to see them, but Olowo had informed them that no suspect had been brought to the palace,” he explained.
According to a source, the police arrested some criminals in the bush, but people who saw the suspects in the police van assumed they were the attackers and had been taken to the palace, resulting in the people besieging the palace.
Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami, the state Police Public Relations Officer, said the report was false and that no one had been arrested in connection with the attack.