The Chukwus are thanking God for their children, Princess and James, who survived an explosion that killed a bride-to-be and eight other children.
On Friday, January 1, 2021, approximately 8:15 a.m., a fire broke out at Akaeze in Ivo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State after a canon loaded with gun powder was left in the house and came into contact with fire.
A three-year-old victim died on the spot during the rescue operation. According to Vanguard, a woman whose wedding was in a few days was also killed in the explosion.
On Sunday, July 18, the Assemlies of God Gishiri in Abuja held a Thanksgiving Service for the children who survived.
Chukwu told the congregation that he was unprepared for what God did for him, nor did he know how best to thank God for the miracle of his children’s survival.
It was expected that our children would bear physical evidence of their trauma for the rest of their lives, but neither I, their mother nor our close family members were bothered. We are just grateful to God for the gift of life,” he said.
James, nine, and Princess, 12, survived the fire explosion with the assistance of doctors and other health workers at different hospitals in Ebonyi and Enugu states, where the children spent months under the close supervision of health workers.”
He further narrated;
In the early hours of January 1, 2021, around 10:00am at my compound in Akaeze, Ivo L.G.A., Ebonyi State, people began blowing gun powder (a locally fabricated material that can destroy things, and people in particular). The gun powder carton was packed in the parlor, near the area where it was blown. I'm not sure if this should be called carelessness, but the sparked element traced down to a parlor where ten (10) children (both mine and neighboring residents) were watching TV and started them all on fire. Their injuries were so severe that they turned black before immediate help could reach them. ''They were all rushed to Abakaliki Hospital for treatment. Six months were spent in the hospital. Of the 10 children I had from different wombs, 8 died. The two who survived are my only children. Almost all of them had burns over 40%, and they began to die one after the other except my two (2) children (James and Princess). It was a tragedy of the century that no one can easily forget. I was approached privately at Abakaliki Hospital by one of the doctors who told me to make sure I didn't keep my children in the hospital for long since the Holy Spirit led Him to inform me to take them away, otherwise they would die within 48 hours. In 2 hours we were already at Orthopaedic Hospital, Enugu where the doctors and nurses gathered round my children's body to see what they could do to save them. To the glory of God, I announce that my children are now medically fine and are back in Abuja to continue their education. Thanks to all the people who contributed prayers, financial assistance, and moral support. Our Father in Heaven is the only One who can do what no man can. The man is awesome and wonderful. In Jesus' name, Amen, be all the praise now and forevermore.