Buckingham Palace said Queen Elizabeth would skip next week’s Commonwealth Service, her first public appearance since physicians recommended her to rest.
The world’s oldest and longest-reigning king has been largely absent since spending a night in hospital last October for an undisclosed illness.
She tested positive for COVID-19 last month, but recovered in time to visit Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at Windsor Castle on Monday.
Buckingham Palace announced her son and heir Prince Charles will represent her at next week’s annual Commonwealth service of 54 nations.
“The Queen has invited The Prince of Wales to represent Her Majesty at the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on Monday,” the Palace announced.
“The queen has other obligations this week, including in-person Audiences.”
The decision was made due to considerations concerning the queen’s comfort going to and from the service.
A palace insider said she planned to resume to routine responsibilities soon after the 70th anniversary of her accession in February.
Aside from the Commonwealth Service, she had been slated to attend three engagements this month.
Another, a diplomatic event at Windsor Castle, had been postponed by the administration.
She is still due to attend a memorial ceremony for Prince Philip, her 73-year-old husband who died aged 99 in April, at Westminster Abbey in London.
But her grandson Prince Harry, who lives in Los Angeles with his American wife Meghan and is embroiled in a legal struggle with the British government over his protection, won’t be there.
No plans to visit Britain later this month, according to Harry’s spokeswoman.
The other royals have attacked Harry’s family and the queen’s household since he left to America.